The church of Madonna del Monte was formerly dedicated to the worship of the “Madonna della Quercia”, a popular veneration of the Quattrocento origins. An artisan named Battista Luzzante had painted the Virgin Mary with the Child in her arms on the flat surface of a tile by a painter named Monetto. It is said that thanks to the protection of the sacred image the inhabitants of those districts could escape the terrible plague of 1467.
The construction of the church in the Monte district was begun in 1546 on the petition of the citizens and at the expense of the Municipality, which used the proceeds of the fines and penalties collected for determinate crimes.
The small church features the original Greek cross-section with the three small semicircular apses. It was internally equipped with a vaulted ceiling with a dome made of stone and a covered dome made of beams, planks and tiles.
The small temple was originally equipped with three altars. The Great altar was adorned with a painting depicting the “Madonna with the Child surrounded by Saints Joseph, Francis of Assisi and Victory.” The right altar was dedicated to the Immaculate Virgin and the left to the “Madonna della Quercia” with St. Francis and St. Anthony of Padua.
The Renaissance style portal is similar to that of Palazzo Melis. The church is different for a particular one: in the upper part of the two flowered capitals that support the architrave, the so-called “Sun of the Bees”, an ancient symbol spread in the Celtic areas and especially along the Alpine arches, is embossed: it is a solar symbol consisting of six “spikes” arranged in a radius and enclosed in a circle. It is to indicate the Sun, understood as life, warmth, light and everything that is beautiful and pleasant. It is indicating the “wheel of life”. It is to indicate Jesus Christ, “true Sun,” “Sunshine Invocation,” and “Sun of Justice.”